Rosacea Home > Finacea
If you have rosacea, a healthcare provider may prescribe Finacea. This medication is a type of gel that is applied to the skin twice daily. It is thought to work by suppressing inflammation, killing bacteria, and slowing down the rapid growth of skin cells. Potential side effects of the skin gel include dry skin, stinging, and itching.
What Is Finacea?Finacea® (azelaic acid gel) is a prescription rosacea medication. It comes as a gel that is applied to the skin twice daily.
How Does Finacea Work?At this time, it is not exactly clear how Finacea works for treating rosacea. The active ingredient, azelaic acid, is also effective for treating acne. Azelaic acid may have some antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, and may also help to normalize hyperkeratinization (a problem with skin cells that leads to pimples and other bumps).
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind when using this medication include the following:
- Apply this medication to the face twice daily, after washing with a mild cleanser. Apply it before applying any cosmetics.
- This medication will not bleach fabrics.
- Make sure to avoid the area around the eyes and lips.
- Wash your hands after applying the gel.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.